Ceramics - Buncheong
Food - Tableware - Storage Carriage - Jar
- Accession Number
This jar was excavated from the Tomb of Princess Jeongso, the eldest daughter of King Sejong. The tomb was originally located in Daeja-ri, Byeokje-myeon, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do Province, but was removed to the West Three Royal Tombs in Goyang during the period of Japanese colonial rule. The jar is thought to have been excavated over the course of the tomb’s relocation. Although it is a tomb relic, it takes the form of a placenta jar, so it is presumed to have been made sometime between 1412, the year of the princess’ birth, and 1424, the year of her death. Excavated together, the inner and outer jars show two contrasting decorative styles that illustrate the transition from inlaid celadon to stamped buncheong ware. The inlay technique was used with the inner jar to create grass and flower designs.