National Museum of Korea
Gyeongbokgung Palace: the Third Period
- In 1986, a project began to transform the former Joseon Government- General building into a museum, with an initial investment of KRW 27.7 billion. This museum opened on August 21, 1986, with about 7,500 relics on display in twenty exhibition rooms. New equipment included special lighting, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and fire and anti-theft systems in every gallery and storage room.Some of the new museum’s special exhibitions included “Korean Painting: 1850–1950” (1987), “The Beauty of Korea: Traditional Costumes, Ornaments, and Cloth Wrappings” (1988),
“Buddhist Sculpture of the Three Kingdoms Period”(1990), and “Special Exhibition of the Paintings of Kim Hong-do” (1995). “The Beauty of Korea,” which was held during the 1988 Seoul Olympics, won universal acclaim.During the 1990s, the NMK began a prolific cultural exchange with its overseas counterparts. In 1990, a Korean gallery opened at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, followed by another at the Victoria and Albert Museum in England. Korean cultural properties have since been displayed in museums throughout the world, including the USA, Japan, France, the UK, Spain, Belgium, and New Zealand.
August 21, 1986
The National Museum of Korea was relocated to the renovated Capitol Building.
October 30, 1987
Cheongju National Museum opened.
October 26, 1990
Jeonju National Museum opened.
October 30, 1992
The National Folk Museum was dismantled and reorganized.
August 6, 1993
Buyeo National Museum moved into a new building.
December 7, 1994
Daegu National Museum opened.